Sunday, June 2, 2013

Best Creamy Chocolatey Chocolate Frosting.

For my boyfriends birthday I made him yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting.  I wanted to be creative and not just give him cupcakes but make it into a cupcake cake.  While searching Pinterest I found the perfect idea; make a glove and baseball cupcake cake.  It was perfect because the next day I was taking him to a baseball game so it fit into the theme perfectly.




Creamy Chocolatey Chocolate Frosting (best chocolate ever)

I am constantly baking and looking for new frosting recipes.  For a while I couldn't find the right chocolate frosting (I am really picky about my chocolate frosting) and had given up on finding one.  The night before Valentines day I decided to look for one (my boyfriend LOVES chocolate frosting).  I came across this link on Pinterest and decided to just go with it.

Ingredients:

  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 2 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa (I use Ghirardelli cocoa)
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (I use a special vanilla that I get straight from Mexico, D'Lis pure vanilla.  I got it while in Puerto Vallarta but I am sure you can find it elsewhere like Amazon)
Directions:

1. Melt butter to soften, place in large bowl and beat until creamy.
2. Slowly add the sugar and cocoa in portions.  Be sure to mix well.
3. Stir in milk in portions, stirring each time. 
4. Add vanilla (I add 1/4 of a teaspoon more than they say)
5. Spread on cooled cake or other items that need frosting. 


Buttercream Frosting

I use this frosting for everything.  It is by far the best buttercream frosting I have ever had.  It is very simple to make and extremely addicting ;)

Ingredients: 

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup Crisco shortening 
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2-4 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Food coloring if desired

Directions:

1. Cream shortening and butter, mix well
2. Add vanilla (I use D'Lis pure vanilla for this as well)
3. Gradually add powdered sugar- be sure to mix well with each portion added as it can become chunky
4. Add milk by the tablespoon.  I usually add 3 tablespoons
5. Add food coloring if you desire.
6. Enjoy:)

Once you have made your frosting you are now ready to decorate (my favorite part).  I use the Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus to help me frost my cupcakes.  I received it as a christmas present last year and it has been the best gift I have ever received.  I used the Star Tip that is included with the Wilton Decorator Plus.  I also used the Round tip that was included for the baseball.  For the lacing on the baseball I used a smaller round tip that I purchased at Michaels.

For the glove I organized the cupcakes to look like a hand, I was able to do this with 24 cupcakes.  Starting at the one of the bottom cupcakes I decorated each cupcake using the Star tip.  I started on the outside of the cupcake and followed it in for each one.  The baseball was really difficult to do.  I attempted to do it on a plate first to get an idea how to do it.  It turned out great, obviously.  Of course, when I went to do it on the actual cake I had issues.  I had a hard time trying to center it and also trying to make it circular.  Obviously looking at the picture it is a little lop sided (just be sure you are making it for someone who loves you and won't judge you).  Once I put the frosting down for where I wanted the ball I used a knife to round it and help shape it.  Lastly the lace.  This was one of the easier parts.  After cleaning my Decorator and filling it with red icing I googled a picture of a baseball and made the lacing to look exactly like a real one.  Once you have it iced be sure to enjoy with milk or vanilla ice cream.

This is a perfect cake to make for a tailgating party before a baseball game, a birthday or even a end of the season party cake for a little league team.

No comments:

Post a Comment