Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Atkins Friendly Beef Stroganoff

Cooking for people on the Atkins diet can sometimes be a chore, but with recipes like this it honestly couldn't get any easier.  This stroganoff recipe is super simple, and it comes out nice and creamy, and most importantly its acceptable for phase one of the Atkins diet.  Here is what you will need:

Adapting a recipe found here, I've made a few changes of my own.

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb steak (I use super-thin sliced top sirloin)
  • 4 tbsp margarine
  • 5 oz diced white onion
  • 3/4 cup beef broth
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • xanthan gum for thickening
  • (Optional) 8 oz mushrooms (none of us like them so we leave them out!)


Start by browning the onions, then add the steak (cut into strips) and cook it until its cooked through.  If you are adding mushrooms, add them now.  Otherwise, lower the heat and add the beef broth.  Simmer it for around 10 minutes, and then cover with a lid and continue simmering for around 45 minutes.  Stir occasionally during the simmering, and add a little bit of the xanthan gum to thicken the sauce until it gets to where you want it.  Don't add too much or it will clump and that is NOT good eats.  After its done simmering, turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream.  Its ready to serve!

I personally like to serve this with garlic green beans.  Take the green beans and steam them until tender, then sauté them in a little oil of your choice and about 2 tbsp of minced garlic.  Dust them with a  little garlic salt and you've got the perfect side for this meal.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you like my recipe. I've never made it without the wine myself, as it really takes it to a higher flavor level. But on Induction, you do what ya have to do. I imagine it would be pretty good over green beans. I'll have to try that some time. This is one of my husband's all-time favorite recipes.

    ReplyDelete